“If you don’t know where you are going, you will probably end up somewhere else.” – Lawrence J. Peter
In the spirit of the New Year, our focus is to help you set goals in a way that gives you the best chance to achieve them.
Often people “wish” for things, or set goals that are too vague. This leads to failure and frustration. Others at least take the all-important step of writing goals down. It is said that the odds of achieving your goals go up dramatically when you write them down and tell others what you plan to achieve!
Following the SMART goal setting system will help you set goals on a whole new level that you and your family can get excited about!
- S = Specific: Make your goals very specific. The more specific, the better your chances of achieving them. Rather than say, “I want to save more money,” transform this into, “I will save $200 more per month.”
- M = Measurable: Set goals that provide a way to measure whether you succeed or not. “I want to lose weight this year” is not measurable. Deciding to lose 25 pounds this year is!
- A = Achievable: There is a definite art to goal setting. Creating goals that are too easily achievable do not energize you enough. Setting your goals too high might cause you to give up before you have even started. Push yourself while making sure your goal can be achieved.
- R = Realistic: How realistic is your goal? Losing 50 pounds this year may be specific, measurable, and achievable. But do you have the knowledge, discipline, and skills to achieve this goal? If not, revise your goals to be more realistic as you learn the necessary exercise and eating habits.
- T = Time: Give every goal a deadline! A deadline will provide the pressure you need to actively work towards achieving your goal. Make the timeframe realistic while also pushing you to get it completed sooner than later!
If you are already setting goals, congratulations! There are so many theories and strategies on how best to set and achieve what is most important to you. The key is simply doing it. By following the SMART system, your goals can be refined to ensure the most success.
Action Plan: If you have already set goals for 2017, review them now and refine them to make sure they are SMART! If you have not taken the time to think about what you want to achieve this year, either financially or personally, schedule time now. Choose a day and time that you can have some quiet time to think. Just remember, that setting goals are the fun and easy part…execution is the key!